HDU holdowns are pre-deflected during the manufacturing process, virtually eliminating deflection under load due to material stretch. They use Strong-Drive® SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws which install easily, reduce fastener slip and provide a greater net section when compared to bolts.
The DTT tension ties are designed for lighter-duty holdown applications on single 2x posts. The DTT1Z is installed with nails or Strong-Drive SD Connector screws and the DTT2Z installs easily with Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws (included). The DTT1Z holdowns have been tested for use in designed shearwalls and prescriptive braced wall panels as well as prescriptive wood-deck applications (see DTT deck tension ties for deck applications).
For more information on holdown options, contact Simpson Strong-Tie.
- Uses Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws which install easily, reduce fastener slip and provide a greater net section area of the post compared to bolts
- Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws are supplied with the holdowns to ensure proper fasteners are used
- No stud bolts to countersink at openings
- See table
- HDU — galvanized; DTT1Z and DTT2Z — ZMAX® coating; DTT2SS — stainless steel
- See General Notes for Holdowns and Tension Ties.
- The HDU requires no additional washer; the DTT requires a standard-cut washer (included with DTT2Z) be installed between the nut and the seat.
- Strong-Drive SDS Heavy-Duty Connector screws install best with a low-speed high-torque drill with a 3/8" hex-head driver.
- Fasteners and crescent washer are included with the holdowns. For replacements, order part no. SDS25212-HDU_. (Fill in the size needed, e.g. HDU2.)
For stainless-steel fasteners, see Fastener Types and Sizes Specified for Simpson Strong-Tie Connectors.
Many of these products are approved for installation with Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws.
- HDU14 requires heavy-hex anchor nut to achieve tabulated loads (supplied with holdown).
- Where noted in table, loads are applicable to installation on either the narrow or the wide face of the post.