The KBS1Z knee-brace stabilizer makes a structural connection between knee bracing and columns or beams to help stabilize free-standing structures and comply with many prescriptive deck bracing requirements such as AWC’s DCA6 Prescriptive Residential Wood Deck Construction Guide. Factory-formed at a 45° angle and easily installed with nails, the KBS1Z braces 2x, 4x and 6x in line post-to-beam configurations. Check with your local building department for deck bracing requirements.
- 16 gauge
- ZMAX® coating
- Use all specified fasteners; see General Notes.
- For installations at an angle other than 45°, bend KBS1Z along slots to desired angle. Bend one time only.
- Knee Brace:
— Cut braces at desired angle
— Bend KBS1Z to desired angle if required
— Install fasteners to secure in place
— For equal-width members, install (2) KBS1Z on each end of brace (see illustration, connection type 1)
— For 2x knee brace, install single KBS1Z on each end of brace (see illustration, connection type 2)
— Install in pairs; see illustrations for quantity and configuration
— Part used as a column cap; does not replace a knee brace
Many of these products are approved for installation with Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws.
- Allowable loads have been increased for wind or earthquake loading with no further increase allowed. Reduce where other loads govern.
- For braces installed at intermediate angles, allowable loads may be interpolated between loads listed for brace angle = 45° and those listed for brace angle = 30° or 60°.
- #9 x 1 1/2" Strong-Drive® SD Connector screws may be substituted for fasteners specified with no load reduction.